Yogya Day 8
Day 08 (08 Sept 2015)
we decided to go before lunch (13.00) to collecting samples for bacteria cultivating in order to get data for our hypothesis:
1. meat section in the market (Bringharjo traditional Market) are the dirtiest section in the market that contaminate overall market environtment hygienity.
2. PASTY (pasar hewan dan tanaman hias) has many bacteria that may affect the healthines of people and the animals
in pasty we took samples of :
1. Tap water used to wash the hand in the frontier area of animal market
2. Drain (sink water ) full of fishes (some still alive), dead cocroach, dead cricket, etc.
3. Water from the chicken seller used to wash the hand
we heading off to meat section and taking sample of :
1. water from floor drain of butcher table
2. dirt of butcher's knife
3. liquid from trash can or fish container ( talgat took it bravely )
4. water from the butcher table used to wash the meat
Today we started to make the grow media by extracting protein from ground beef and water by heated to to boil. Next the filter to divided meat out from liquid. In this liquid had many of peptone. That's best environment for bacteria grew. Next I and Namtan talked about the way to share our experience of chemistry and microbiology to Indonesian team. We persuade them to mix the the bacteria grow media. I wanted to experimental about the media recipe by make it to be 4 type. First we mixed 20 ml of extracted beef with 6 drop of glucose and 6 drop of indicator. Then we mixed 20 ml of extracted beef with 6 drop of glucose. Then we mixed 20 ml of extracted beef with 6 drop of indicator. And finally we only use extracted beef. Because I found some information about bacteria needed different environment and resource by type.
Next step I wanted to know the volume of bacteria's population form different location of the main river. By the first I focused to Code river and Gajahwong river. Because that’s the main river and important to the Yogyakarta. I had some i idea to collected the water from upper, middle and lower of two river. I wantedcto said “Thank you very mush” to Indonesian team for help me by divide to be a 5 team and went to 6 location. Shortly they came back with sample water. Finally we mixed the grow media with sample water in the little tube and set the database for put result in tomorrow. -PingPong-
good luch with vegetables, sauced egg, and noodle -ivan-
starting bacteria cultivating
we had 7 pieces of petri dishes with media. 3 petri dish with beef+agar+sugar and 4 petri dishes with potato+egg+sugar.
samples from PASTY
media : beef+agar+sugar
1. Tap water used to wash the hand
2. Drainase hole
samples from MEAT SECTION
media : potato+egg+sugar
1. water from floor of butcher table divided by 2 with river sample
2. butcher knife dirt divided by 2 with butcher table dirt
3. water used to wash the meat | water from trash bin
4. control petri dish with no sample
all 7 petri dishes sample we put behind the fridge, its has a good temperature and for bacteria growth.
In the morning, I and Pingpong bought beetroots from superindo for making another indicator. There are ‘betanins’ which are dye in beetroots that can be effected in pH changing as shown in figure1.
Figure1 Color changes of natural indicators.
We tested beetroots indicator with the same kind acid-base solutions of testing red onion indicator. From results, red color of beetroots juice turn to violet in basic solution and become a little bit fading of red color in acidic solution as shown in figure2.
Figure2 Color changes of beetroot indicator in acidic solution (No.1) and basic solution (No.2).